Sunday, November 30, 2014

As cold as it gets

If I can handle this I probably will be ok this winter.



This seems brutally cold but I was actually getting too hot after the first 4 miles and went home to take off some layers.

This is what I learned so far from running in extreme cold:

- With the right gear you can run in pretty much any cold weather.
- Most important areas to protect: head, neck, hands and legs. If your neck and head are warm you feel good. 
- No gloves, use thick windstopping mitts. 
- Protect your legs. Especially your butt! This area gets very cold and one layer is not enough. I wear a thick running tight and as a second layer a wind stopper. Still my butt is cold but it is doable.
- No wind stopper jackets, I'm serious, you get too hot. No hard shells either. You  will overheat.
- Wear a second hat or take one with. Nothing is worse when your head covering starts to get wet from your sweat and then that starts to freeze. You will need a second layer to stay protected.
- Use your head and hands as regulator for temperature. Even in brutal cold you will have moments that you get too hot. For instance you start against the wind but another part of the run the wind is behind you. This will feel like it's super hot and you'll start to sweat. The best way to regulate that is via your gloves or hat. Either take them off or allow some wind to cool off your skin partially.
- Drink! You will not be thirsty but running in extreme cold dehydrates you quickly. It's very dry. Water will freeze and I don't want to buy more gear. I am wearing enough weight as it is. I just go home more often and drink. 


Kids still playing outside. Shows that as long as you are well dressed you still can have fun and enjoy the outdoors.









No comments:

Post a Comment